Candle Addicts

If you love candles & haven't experienced Gold Canyon yet, you are seriously missing out! I love my Gold Canyon business & have been doing this for 10 years now. E-mail me for a free sample (kim.milius@goldcanyon.us) or visit my website: http://www.mygc.com/milius

Monday, June 29, 2009

I hate medical statistics!

I've learned from experience that medical statistics are not in my favor. Any time the doctor spouts of statistics that are something like 2% of people or 1 in every million, Jeff says, "oh, no!" because he's learned that I'm bound to be in that 2% or to be the one-in-a-million, when its not the best thing to be!

To give an example:
After the invitro that got us pregnant with Chase, I got a blood clot that got infected due to the procedure of removing my eggs. It took days & repeated doctors visits (all over the holiday weekend, by the way) to discover what was wrong . . . first it was thought that I was just retaining some fluid (as is common), then it moved on to a possible kidney infection or kidney stones, and as the pain increased & my white blood cell count increased, they finally found "something" floating around in my abdomen. Two doctors and an ultrasound tech were all gathered around discussing before I was sent to the hospital for further tests to see what "it" was. It turned out to be an infected blood clot, something that the doctors at our very renowned clinic had never seen before in all their years of doing these procedures.

There are many more stories & the odds just never seem to be on my side, but all that being known, I was positively optimistic when I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis. At the time, we were getting ready to do fertility treatments & I was told that I wouldn't be able to take medications while pregnant or nursing, but that 80% of female patients with rheumatoid arthritis have no arthritis symptoms while they are pregnant! In fact, the doctor I saw (again, one who has been around for a while) said that she had never seen a case where rheumatoid arthritis symptoms had continued during pregnancy.

What a relief! To go a full 9 months without medications & without arthritis symptoms would be heaven! Then came my first pregnancy with Chase & an INCREASE in my problems with rheumatoid arthritis. That's right, not only did it disappear but it got worse. So, here we go on pregnancy #2 & I was hoping that this time the odds would be in my favor. All hope is gone now . . . and I've pretty much figured out that this is just how its going to be when I'm pregnant.

On the positive side of those pesky medical statistics, our two tries at invitro have both worked despite a 60% chance the first time & only a 30% chance the second time. So, I am grateful for that, though frustrated by the fact that less invasive measures didn't help us get pregnant -- which they never could figure out why!

1 comment:

  1. Blessings come with strings sometimes... Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete